Saturday, December 26, 2020

Start-Up

      Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing Day!  It has been a quiet Christmas this year with the MCO and all... Didn't go to a church service physically but attended it virtually... Did some Christmas Eve shopping since I hadn't done any shopping since before CNY this year... Grocery shopping notwithstanding... A friend warned me not to let her find out that I ate instant noodles on Christmas so I had to go out for Christmas lunch at Morganfield's and post up proof o  n Instagram/FB... It was a good date with Jesus... Then I went shopping again... Was time to update my work wardrobe since I've been repeating my ensemble quite frequently over the past year... When you work 6-day-week, you run out of clothes pretty fast...

     Anyway, I just watched the K-drama "Start-Up" recently... And I have to say, it was one of the few that left a more lasting impact in my K-drama memory... The OST has quite a few catchy songs and a few that tugged at my heart... If you liked Itaewon Class, you would like Start-Up too as both have an underdog making it big theme... I know most people are on Team Ji-Pyeong and actually wished Dal-Mi would end up with him... But right from the start, I was on Team Do-San... Maybe because I've liked Nam Joo Hyuk fron watching Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo... But I guess it was more of Do-San's character whom made me rooted for him...

     Although Ji-Pyeong was the one who wrote all those letters to Dal-Mi when they were younger, he used Do-San's name.  By doing that, he literally gave his girl to another guy...  And when he left, he never once came back to look for Dal-Mi or her grandmother for the past 15 years... When fate eventually brought both their paths to meet again, instead of owning up the past, he actually looked for the real Nam Do-San to ask him to pretend to be the guy in the letters for Dal-Mi... Anyway, my point is that Ji-Pyeong had numerous chances to express his feelings for Dal-Mi... But he was a faint-hearted batter... Who was too afraid to hit the home run even though he had everything to his advantage... I really felt sorry for Ji-Pyeong that he didn't get the girl... And then I realized that I've been a Ji-Pyeong all the while...

     So entered Do-San who was a clueless loser at his best... He's probably a Savant who's a genius coder but has no inkling about the emotions of the heart...  But from the moment he met Dal-Mi, he started to change... Because Dal-Mi gave him the encouragement and trust he never received from his parents or anyone else...  He found his dream and finally dared to follow his dream...  And he took every chance he had to show Dal-Mi his feelings for her...  He was there to root for Dal-Mi when she needed him most... And I guess that was why even with his hands only, he managed to erase the 15 years worth of memories of Ji-Pyeong's letters...

     Ji-Pyeong said this in the drama: I had the letters for 15 years and yet I never looked for Dal-Mi, but he (Do-San) read the letters for 1 day and he went to look for Dal-Mi... I would choose Do-San over Ji-Pyeong any day... And I suppose that's why I liked this show a lot... Coz it finally broke the annoying 'fated to be together since young' theme that almost all K-dramas have...  I'm just over the moon that Do-San got the girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment