Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sometimes love just ain't enough....

I was listening to the radio tonight...and the DJ played an old Patti Smith song called "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough"...yea, i was listening to MYFM and why would a chinese radio station be playing an 80s English song yea? Actually, Stef Sun covered this song and tonight the DJ was playing English songs sung/covered by Chinese singers...

There's something about this song that is so sad...i'm a hopeless romantic and a bloody idealist... and i grew up believing in the foolish notion that love does conquer all...that if 2 persons really and truly love each other, they will beat the odds together...so when sometimes love just ain't enough, what else is there to hope for?

Found the lyrics and thought i'd just share them with you:

Now, I don't want to lose you

but I don't want to use you
just to have somebody by my side.
And I don't want to hate you,
I don't want to take you
but I don't want to be the one to cry.

And that don't really matter to anyone anymore.
But like a fool I keep losing my place
and I keep seeing you walk through that door.

C/O: But there's a danger in loving somebody too much,
and it's sad when you know it's your heart you can't trust.
There's a reason why people don't stay where they are.
Baby, sometimes, love just aint enough.

Now, I could never change you
I don't want to blame you.
Baby, you don't have to take the fall.
Yes, I may have hurt you, but I did not desert you.
Maybe I just want to have it all.

It makes a sound like thunder
it makes me feel like rain.
And like a fool who will never see the truth,
I keep thinking something's gonna change.

And there's no way home
when it's late at night and you're all alone.
Are there things that you wanted to say?
And do you feel me beside you in your bed,
there beside you, where I used to lay?

And there's a danger in loving somebody too much,
and it's sad when you know it's your heart they can't touch.
There's a reason why people don't stay who they are.
Baby, sometimes, love just ain't enough.

And in case you want to listen to the song, here's the link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaTiLzKJMAg&feature=related

So why did this song strike a chord? I don't know...maybe it reminds me of my past relationships.. which have obviously not work out...or maybe i'm just afraid that it could happen to my future relationship(s)...i definitely do not want to be the one who cry...and there's definitely a terrible terrible danger in loving somebody too much...and it's really really sad when you know it's your heart you can't trust/ they can't touch...but like the fool i am, i'll always hope that maybe this time, it'll be better...things will be different...but a part of me is afraid...of getting my heart broken...again...

I would liken the pain of a broken heart to birth pain...in that the pain is so unbearable that you usually develop selective amnesia towards the pain as soon as you see your beloved...either in the form of a lover or a newborn baby...and you'd gladly go through the process of a relationship or pregnancy until your heart breaks or your water breaks....the difference though is that at least in child birth, the pain in short-lived...but the pain of a broken heart may last a lifetime...time can never really heal a broken heart....it probably can just slowly anaesthetize the pain...

2 comments:

  1. This is a great song. Fanstastic melody. Never went in depth with the lyrics though..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, thought you'd like it...songs from the 80s..so your style yea? hehe...the lyrics are good too...

    ReplyDelete